Sunday, August 17, 2008

Gestational Diabetes

This is what gestational diabetes looks like. Every morning at 8:00 I have to wake up to check my blood sugar level with a little drop of blood from my finger and then shoot 20cc of insulin into my thigh. Then at 8:30 I have to eat breakfast. From that point, I have to prick my finger for more blood sugar tests, two hours after each meal and my meals have to be at specific, consistant times each day. I keep a daily log of all the foods I eat, any exercise, and all the sugar levels. Needless to say, my perspective and awareness of what and when I'm eating has completely changed since my diagnosis. I've only had one day so far that was in my perfect blood sugar level range all day. That's the frustrating part. It's the carbohydrates and the serving sizes of each food and drink that I'm figuring out how to control. My doctor says that I probably won't gain anymore weight with my restricted diet and may even loose a few pounds in my last weeks of pregnancy. I guess that's better than gaining a pound a week, like my pregnancy books says, and having my sugar levels out of control. I've only gained 20lbs. Thank goodness this is only going to last until I deliver my baby. I'm highly motivated to continue reading food labels, weighing portions, and exercising after this pregnancy so I can loose wieght and stay away from developing lifelong diabetes. In addition to this daily routine, I'm also going to the hospital (the labor and delivery unit) twice a week for non-stress tests and special ultrasounds to monitor the baby, the placenta, and the amniotic fluid levels. Less than six weeks to my due date! I have always delivered my babies after the due date but since I'm being so closely monitered, Dr. Loup says she'll start talking about an induction date a week before the due date depending on how the baby is doing at that point. I'll have a detailed ultrasound around the 10th to check his size and weight. He'll be in my arms soon and I can't hardly wait!

No comments: