Friday, August 26, 2011

CC week 1

Classical Conversation classes started this week and we were a part of it!  I've just got to say that it's going to be a great school year for us because of this weekly program.  Everything about it just feels right.  While my kids were all in their classes, and I was in my class, our director, Shawne, was busy going from room to room taking pictures.  Here is what she captured for our family.

I'm tutoring one of the two Journeyman classes made up of 8-10 year olds.  Here's our first class pose from last week's orientation day.  I've never taught more than my four kids at one time (on a long term basis) so this is a new and exciting extension from my eight years of teaching at home.  I'm so happy to have Sloan in my class with me.  And yes, Isaac was helping me too.  Helping?  I don't know about that but he WAS there. :-) 

Ethan met his new class last week.  He's in the Master's class of 11-12 year olds.  Because of his 2.5 years at the DOD's school in Spain, he really likes being in a classroom with friends.  This will be a perfect compromise for him to be home schooled again but still have a classroom of friends to hang out with regularly.  His teacher is a Mom with five kids and has been in CC for four years now.  She was one of the original tutors from when the Orange Park classes began.  I feel like he's set up for success.
Here he is busy learning geography this week.  We're all learning the U.S. states and capitals this year.
week 1: Augusta, ME    Concord, NH    Boston, MA     Providence, RI     Hartford, CT
 Getting organized.

Isaac's class is set up for lots of fun playtime.  He loves wearing his backpack so I packed it up with a snack, a drink and extra diapers and wipes and he walked right into his classroom/playroom.  Three hours later, I picked him up with big smiles and tons of excitement.  I think that's a good sign of a good time.

In our class (Sloan's class) we did some cutting and pasting to start a science anatomy lapbook.
Week 1:  What are 4 types of tissue?  Four types of tissue are:  Connective, Epithelial, Muscle, Nerve

Each week the kids prepare and deliver an oral presentation.  For the first week, Sloan shared "All about Me."  She did a great job.  However, while listing all of her family members, she included our ages and this is how it came out: "Isaac is 2, I'm 8, Ethan is 11, Camryn is 13, my Mom is 40 and my Dad is 24.  (I soo wanted to correct her so the other Mom's in the room wouldn't think I was married to a 24 year old but I didn't want to interrupt her speech so I bit my tongue and it's still pestering at me so I'm glad I just decided to blog about it and get the chance to correct that little detail.)  hee/hee

2 comments:

Amy P said...

What a fun thing! So did you already say how often you get together with this group? When do you do your home schooling, and how does this fit in to your schedule? And what does Camryn do? Is she too old for this program? I think you'll do a great job! And how fun for Isaac to have his own little thing too.

I love Sloan's presentation. I guess you and Travis are just following in the trend of older women being with a much younger man. :) ha/ha that is sooo funny!

Amy P said...

p.s. did you know Pioneer Woman has her own TV cooking show now? I just watched it this weekend. An interesting life, I liked it!